Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Changes

I posted about the changes I've been making to my lifestyle last year and thought I'd revisit...

At home:

  • My home computer is set up to hibernate when I am not using it --> going one step further I should shut it off!
  • Turn off the lights when I'm not in the room
  • Try to plan my errands so that I have a direct route to the stores so that I don't drive in circles.
  • Planted a new tree in my yard last year
  • Use baking soda, vinegar and water rather than Drano to clean sink buildups --> better for me and the environment!
  • Use a programmable thermostat to lower the heat when I'm sleeping or when I'm not home
  • Replaced swiffer pads with Method cleaning kit - less waste and it is healthier
  • Unplug appliances when not in use
  • Have a low-flow showerhead
  • Only run the washer when I have a full load
  • Air-dry most of my clothing
  • Doors all have weather seal tape to prevent drafts
  • Now buy organic produce/dairy/meat and use healthy cleaning products
  • Plan on geting a rain barrel this spring as well as start a compost bin
  • Thinking about swapping out products in my bathroom for greener products
  • Thinking about swapping out my detergent as well to Seventh Generation but haven't made the switch yet

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

  • Donate old clothing and household items to various charities that will pick them up at my home (tax deduction to boot!)
  • Participate in Berkley's recycle program
  • Use a reusable water bottle rather than buying water in plastic bottles that just sit in landfills
  • Use reusable bags at grocery store, T@rget, IKE@, etc.
  • Use reusable produce bags so I don't have to use the small plastic ones that just get thrown out
  • Gave the girls each a new reusable bag for Christmas
At work
  • Recycle paper - including the packaging my oatmeal and hot chocolate come in
  • Use my own mug, silverware and dishes so that I do not have to use plastic or styrofoam
  • Carpool four times a week and work at home the fifth
  • Turn off my computer each day when I leave (except the day before I work at home since I have to have my computer on to log in remotely)

2 comments:

  1. I use the 7th generation detergent with no dyes, perfumes, etc. for my laundry and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love my new bag - favorite thing: I can put it over my shoulder! This is awesome since I have two doors to unlock at home and no good place to set bags down while I do that, so this means no more wet, snowy groceries!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!