Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

To Paint or Not to Paint

I've been looking at homes around the Berkley area to see what color entry doors everyone has. Mine is the original putty color and I don't really care for it much mostly because I want a pop of color on my otherwise bland house. I've toyed with the idea of painting the front door a deep shade of blue, green or red. Most sites/books I've read said that the shutters and door should be the same color but my shutters are black and the foundation is black so there is no way I'm painting my door black.

Here's what it looks like now:

Option 1: Blue



Option 2: Red



Option 3: Green

*the colors are not exact and will differ depending on your monitor but you get the idea*

What color is your front door? Does it match the shutters if you have them? Should I just leave it and add pops of color in a flower stand, chair with cushion, or other decorative element? The black square near my door is the plaque that holds my house number - I've been thinking about painting it as well so the numbers show up better but the more I look at houses the more confused I get!

10 comments:

  1. I like the red. But that's my favorite accent color. They all look nicer than the white though, so you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red!! Great idea giving us the photoshopped options - the red just looks so inviting and bold. It would also look great if you added a pot of bright flowers on the front porch. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, the green option is out because of the overwhelming green around your home...shrubs, trees, grass. The blue is nice (I have a navy front door) but maybe paint the shutters to match? Red is classic, but if you are daring, go canary yellow.

    Love your blog. Check out mine. We have similar tastes! www.findingflair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not into matching the shutters and front door - and especially not the front door and garage. I like the red, but also think that just the right shade of yellow would be cheery and welcoming, especially with a nice green wreath on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue and green just say blah, were red says "hello look at me." I would definitely go with red.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a red front door, but it really is almost a purply cool red. My siding is a dark brown clay color and the window trim (not siding) is off-white.

    I really like the red option, but I would try to find a cool blueish red.

    On the black door thing ... I have neighbors that painted their door black and then stenciled this really cool "welcome" calligraphy in shades of gold and white. It looks really nice. I was surprised!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!