Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

White furniture = chic or cheap?

When I was in high school I wanted my room to be filled with white furniture. However I was raised in a home that was filled with antiques and antique furniture is typically not white but beautifully stained colors in deep mahogany, cherry, walnut, etc. As I got older I thought white furniture looked cheap like the laminate furniture you put together with an allen wrench and my love of dark furniture grew. Lately, however, I've noticed more and more white furniture and I go back and forth as to whether I like it and whether it will look classic forever like my antiques or if it will date my house.

I bit the bullet the other day and bought my first piece of white furniture. The jury is still out on whether it looks chic or cheap but it is the perfect size so I'll keep it. I mentioned in my other blog that I was looking for a small side table with a drawer (roughly 15" wide) for my bedroom that was under $100. I've been stalking a table at Target for a month or two now and was delighted to discover it on clearance at 30% off. The tragic part of this tale is that it was chipped beyond repair. I mean an entire corner of the table was broken off and another gouge had been made on the top. I went to the other Target near my home only to discover that they were sold out there as well. I gave up on that small, white table until I was in Novi last week for my hair appointment. I arrived a little early so I thought I'd visit the Target in Wixom since they always seem to have a better clearance section than the Targets near my house. While browsing the clearance section (I snagged a great storage container for $4!) I saw the back of a small white table out of the corner of my eye in the bathroom aisle. When I turned it around to get a closer look I realized it was the small table I coveted so I took a quick inventory of scratches ( a couple on the top that can be painted over) and quickly grabbed it and carried it to the checkout. The final price? $30 down from $60! Score!

Pics of my new find to come when I show you how I redid my bedroom for roughly $150.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!