Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Black Thumb

I decided this winter that I would start some seeds in my house to later plant outside so I could save money on herbs and tomatoes this year. I bought a Jiffy Greenhouse and seeds (tomato, basil, cilantro, parsley and coleus) from Home Depot for around $7 around St. Patrick's Day.


A month later and I discovered that I have a black thumb. The seeds sprouted quickly but it took me too long to set them up under a grow light so most of the seedlings got too long and skinny. The coleus and basil are still growing in the basement but I've decided that they likely won't make it either. J is growing a lot of plants at his place and they all look great and will likely make it to the summer. Me though? I'm going to buy some starter plants from the farmer's market and call it a day.

3 comments:

  1. You and me both. I can barely keep my hanging flower basket alive. The people who owned our house before us put in a huge garden. I get a few tomatoes from it, but otherwise, it is grossly underutilized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know when you go to the farmers market. I'd love to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We started some tomato seeds in an egg carton and turned it into a green house with a cake container....we'll see how it works. We may be buying plants this spring as well.

    I planted rosemary and basil in two flower pots just this weekend and have kept them outside, we'll see how that goes, too:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!