Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dollar Store Deals

I'll admit it - my family frequents the Dollar Store. My mother taught me to look for a bargain so that has been ingrained in me since I was a young girl. With today's economic situation of people losing their jobs or taking pay cuts, you can't help but try to find ways to be a little more money savvy. I thought I'd put together a list of things I have purchased at the Dollar Store to show you that they do have some great deals (and some duds).
Blue porcelain ramekins - each rectangular dish was $1 and each set of three round bowls was $1. Comparable to these at Target ($1.99 for one round bowl)
Woven baskets - (set of two) I used these to hold utensils at a birthday party last year. I have another set that corrals spice packets in the kitchen and mailing supplies (stamps, name labels, address book) in the office.
Light up paper lanterns - these battery operated paper lanterns were used for a birthday party last year. These multi-colored ones (set of three) are $12.99 at Target.
Stainless Steel pet food bowls - so cheap that Sami has four! I love these since 1) they are stainless steel and 2) they have rubber bottoms so she can't push the bowls around. I've seen the same ones at Target for $3.99 each.
Wine and margarita glasses - I bought four of each for a total of $8. Depending on where you shop, boxes of four glasses can be anywhere from $8 to $30 (or more).
Glass bowl - I bought this recently to store my wine corks rather than line them up in the kitchen. Since my kitchen and dining room are wine-themed I thought this worked quite nicely.
I have also bought:
  • Ashtrays for when my father visits (all smokers must smoke outside so I get cheapie ashtrays)
  • Foam board used for my bookcase makeover
  • Wrapping paper/gift bags
  • Aluminum Foil
  • Candle holders
  • Work gloves
  • Ceaning supplies
  • Shower curtain liners (when I used plastic ones!)
  • Kitchen utensils (wooden spoons, spatulas, dishes/eating utensils to keep at the office, shears, etc.)
  • Cat toys

The next time you walk past a Dollar Store and don't even bat an eye, maybe you should enter the store instead. You never know what great deal you'll find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!