Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

Film it!

I have a door in the dining room that leads to the back patio. This door has a few problems - 1) I hate the hardware, 2) I hate the blinds, 3) the window pane is loose, and 4) it badly needs a new coat of paint. Luckily for me (or maybe not) the blinds broke this weekend when I raised them to clean the window. It took me all of five seconds to decide what to do - use window film rather than blinds to cover the window. There are tons of window film available but I went to my local Home Depot to check out their stock since I didn't want to wait for something to come in the mail and I wanted something inexpensive.

They carry the Light Effects brand, which has quite a few options but most of them I thought were too gaudy and definitely not what I wanted. Home Depot has a nice display that shows what the films look like on glass and that's where I found the design I wanted - Etched lace. I thought about Texture 12, which looks like textured glass but I figured that looked too bathroom-esque to me. The other option in the store was the plain etched glass pattern but it looked too industrial to me. (I love the etched leaf but they didn't have that option in HD - in fact I had to go to two HDs to find the style I wanted!)

At about quarter to 11:00 pm I decided that I didn't want to wait any longer so I tackled the installation.
  1. Measure window. Trim film on smooth, flat surface while still attached to paper backing. The sheet was 24x36 and my window was 15.5 x 35.5 so the one sheet would be plenty.

  2. Thoroughly remove any dirt or debris from window.

  3. Add a couple of drops of liquid detergent to a spray bottle with cold water. Spray a generous amount of the water/soap mixture on the window.

  4. Peel film from the paper backing, starting in a corner. Make sure you protect the film from lint and debris. If you've used contact paper - this is 1000x easier since there is no adhesive on the film!

  5. Wet the smooth side of the film and position it on the window. I cut mine slightly larger than the window so that it would slide under the window frame. The film moves around quite easily on the wet window so just move it around until it is where you want it.

  6. Wet the exposed side of the film. This is necessary to allow the squeegee to glide over the film and remove all air bubbles and water.

  7. Squeegee from the center of the image and work your way to the edges, using the provided squeegee. Trim any excess film.

  8. Wipe dry with cloth.
Before:
After:

From outside:
That fixed one of the problems. Another problem I mentioned was that the window panes shook. I decided to fill in the space with some extra weather stripping I had in the basement. I simply pushed the stripping between the glass and frame using a pointy craft tool I had.
The finished edges:

I started this project at 10:45 and finished at 11:07. Not bad. Stay tuned for part two of the door revamp project!

In daylight:

2 comments:

  1. Ohh, I love the difference! I really like that pattern too, I want something similar to that for my bathroom window. I love the etched leaf as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!