Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

When in doubt, paint it white

When I bought my house I loved the built-in shelves in the dining room. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the color of the shelves - they matched the floors but they stood out too much for my liking since all other cabinetry in the house and the trim was white.

It's taken me four years but I finally decided to paint them this weekend. I removed everything from the shelves, wiped them down, removed the shelves, lightly sanded them, primed them and then gave them three coats of semi-glossy white to match the trim in the house.

Here's the final product as of today. I am constantly changing what I put on the shelves but right now I'm digging the mix of white ceramic dishes (love, love, love), the glass elements and of course the mercury candle holders.

I mentioned in my last post that I got some great things from Pier 1. Can you spot them? While the large white ceramic scalloped bowl at the top right is identical to the one from Pier 1 I scored that at HomeGoods for a about $5 less.

I bought these cute white ceramic bird salt and pepper shakers for $3 for the set.

I bought two of the matchboxes that I mentioned in my last post. Yes, you can make these yourself but I didn't have a map of NYC or Paris and they were on clearance for $1.98 each so a good buy.

Finally I bought a glass bottle on clearance for $8 (down from $20). I love how it is similar to the mercury vase.

I keep going back and forth as to whether to paint the back wall of the shelving or leave it white. If I paint it I'll do either the same color as the dining room or the same color as the kitchen (which is just a lighter shade of the dining room).

2 comments:

  1. The shelves look great! I agree that the white looks better- a little softer. And great job on the Pier 1 finds. I have the glass water bottle too and just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE. if you do paint the back wall, i would do the same lighter shade as the kitchen. I bet that would look fabulous. Make your items pop even more. especially since some of your best stuff happens to be white, it doesn't stand out against the white back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!