Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Shelve it

I got an estimate for adding an outlet for an over the range microwave. I went ahead and made the appointment to have it done but I'm now rethinking my decision.

1. My circuit box is full. I would need a new 120 Volt 20/20 tandem circuit breaker installed and the outlet would go into my (already small) cabinet above the stove.

2. They will not install the microwave so I'd have to hire someone else to do it.

3. I misjudged how large the microwaves are. The microwave would hang an additional 1.5" lower than my cabinets and stick out 3" from the cabinet. This would put the microwave right in my face as I try to cook.

I think I'm going to build a shelf for cooking aids (oil, salt, pepper, etc) and install it directly below the existing cabinet. This would lower the hood 5-6" so it is closer to the stove.

Currently:

Possibly:

3 comments:

  1. When we put in new cabinets, we went with an over the range microwave...but we had to have things rewired for the outlet as well. We paid an electrician to do it, which was super expensive, I think it was $375 (it was 2.5 years ago, so don't quote me on that) and it was something simple that my step dad told us he could have done in 20 minutes. Woops. Anyways, I like that it gets the microwave off of the counter, but it was pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't bother having it installed especially if you have enough counter space to sit a microwave on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott installed an over the counter microwave at our house and it's great ... we have almost zero counterspace so getting the microwave off the counter was great. He did the outlet himself in the cabinet above as you mentioned ... can you find someone handy to do that for you? And the new circuit? Also, we didn't have alot of room to put it in so we ended up modifying the cabinet above (shortening it) and taking the doors off (cuz they wouldn't fit anymore with a shorter cabinet). So it's an 'open' cabinet and I have nice bowls in it. We just need to paint the interior of cabinet someday ... but the bowls hide the microwave cord and outlet. Marissa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!