Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Cheer

I'm finally rid of my cold and back with a cheerful post. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas - I don't like hot pink, orange, yellow, blue, purple or any other fad color. For me the only true colors for Christmas are red, deep green, white, silver and gold. As I previously mentioned, I don't go over-the-top with decorations since I like to keep things simple. A few touches here and there is all I need.

My favorite place to decorate - the dining room shelves:
The garland is a $1 wreath from the Dollar Tree that I took apart and used as garland. The trees are actually candles I found at HomeGoods and I added a few glass bulbs. The second shelf has a few poinsettia clips, a glitter snowflake (4 for $1 at Target), a red mercury votive holder and a napkin ring that I used around the votive.
I found the chunky, glitter "Joy" at Target this year for $2.50 and added some glass red balls for a touch of red on the third shelf. More poinsettia clips and glitter snowflakes finish the shelves.
The phone nook in the dining room gets a little glam with a glitter gold pick and a sparkly Christmas tree.
I don't have a good place to hang my stockings so this year they went on the wall next to my mirror in the dining room.
I turned tags around and added chunky self-stick letters for mine and Sami's stockings. I got these stockings from Cost Plus World Market years ago and still love them.

The only things on my dining room table are a metallic red place mat, a bowl filled with ornaments and a couple of glittery snowflakes.
I love the ornaments since my grandmother crocheted around simple white and red balls to give them some extra dimension and interest. These are by far my favorite ornaments.

The shelf in the living room got some color with leaves and a glass tree. I also found old strings of star garland that I haven't used since college so I figured I'd add a little whimsy this year.
The stack of books were swapped out for a green and beige book and red glass balls and white bells were added to my favorite dish.
Since I was sick I didn't get a real tree (or decorate outside) so my small fake tree made a repeat appearance this year along with a glitter bird I found at Michael's


That's it! From my small home to yours - I hope you have a happy holiday! Do you decorate for the holidays and if so are you a traditionalist or do you go with your mood and swap out colors each year?

1 comment:

  1. I saw that glitter bird at Michaels a few weeks ago and thought it was so cute! They have great mercury glass ones at Target too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!