Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sprucing up the Basement: Part 1

Can you tell what I was preparing for in the basement?

IMG_2649 IMG_2650 IMG_2651 I hired Modernistic to clean my carpets on Monday.  I highly recommend them – they were fast, did a great job and the guy (Steve) showed me the difference between my gross, dirty carpet and the like-new, clean carpet.  I finally decided to have the carpet cleaned since I’d had a couple of water problems in the basement (I accidentally unhooked the hose to my old washer, thus causing some water leakage in the basement and the pipes had roots growing in them at one point causing a small backup in the basement) and I wanted the carpet cleaned for peace of mind.

What’s nice about my basement is that the carpet is glued to the floor…you really should never use padding in a basement because of water issues (unless you get the padding with channels for the water to go through).  Since it was glued, my water situations (as I’ll call them) didn’t ruin the carpet since I took extra steps to not only vacuum the carpet immediately but I also ran fans for a few days that were pointed directly to the carpet to dry it.  All that resulted from my situations were a few spots of calcium where the carpet turned a weird shade of brown.  Well, I’m happy to say that I no longer have brown calcium spots!  My carpet has been cleaned and deodorized for under $100 (that covers my large basement, the stairs and an area rug in the office). 

Part two includes putting everything back in a new layout and adding some storage solutions. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I wish we had basements here. They would really help with storage - but alas - the water tables are too high...bummer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!