Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Sprucing up the Basement: Part 4

I’ve mentioned many times that my closets are tiny.  I have clothing in the master bedroom closet, the guest room closet and the hall closet.  While I go through my clothes a few times a year to weed out things I no longer wear, I still have a lot of clothes.  I wanted something to store out of season clothing and the best place for it was in the basement.  Enter IKEA.

I checked out their wardrobe solutions and the one I decided to go with was the Aneboda. I chose this for a few reasons but mostly because it was inexpensive at $99 and it was the perfect size.  J braved IKEA with me on a Saturday afternoon strictly to grab the wardrobe.  We were in and out of IKEA in 20 minutes but it took me nearly an hour to assemble the thing by myself later that night.  It’s true – assembling IKEA furniture really is a two person job!

Here it is in its assembled glory in the basement:

IMG_2571 I lined the frosted windows with blue wrapping paper to hide what’s inside.  I’d previously used this trick in the bathroom to hide what is on the shelves so I knew it would work wonders for this as well.  Plus John and Sherry over at Young House Love did theirs with a green wrapping paper and it looks fabulous!

IMG_2587This isn’t all of my summer clothing but it’s a start! I need more storage boxes to put shorts/capris in (right now they are in the plastic bag you see on the top shelf). I’d also like to get a storage box for tank tops and one for my many pairs of flip flops.  At least with the summer jackets out of the hall closet I can easily get to my winter things again!

Any IKEA trips planned lately?  Have you ever bought their furniture?  (this was my first piece!) How do you store out of season clothing?

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I just might have to invest in one of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you lined the doors!
    We have an Ektorp sofa bed in our guest room, and a Besta entertainment center, and house came with Ikea kitchen cabinets (I'll be honest, not my favorite). I like Ikea for items that aren't heavily used, and it's just fun to walk around the store - and I love their frozen meatballs! No weird ingredients, super easy meal solution :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heather, you inspire me as usual! I have a question for you. Have you ever painted(brush or spray) existing nailheads on a piece of furniture? I just bought a new couch today and it has bronze nailheads, and I'd prefer them to be cast iron black. I'm wondering if I can do this?! What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!