Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Basement Remodel: Part 4

Whew!  Almost done!  I left off with the room being taped, mudded and sanded.  The last step before decorating would be to paint the walls and trim.  I normally love to paint and I do it as a stress reliever on occasion.  Oh boy – painting a room this large is not as much fun!  It took HOURS to paint the space (and I’m not done with the storage space or laundry nook) but it is worth it to take your time to get it right. 

I had a hard time choosing a color for the basement.  The upstairs is all beige and shades of blue so I wanted something different downstairs.  There isn’t much light down there so I wanted something light and bright and since you are below ground level I wanted something that would remind me of outdoors (so no red or pink).  I initially wanted a nice, light green but I just couldn’t find the right color after buying four samples.  J suggested yellow so I slept on it for a night and then went to HD to find some yellow samples that I liked.  We agreed on Behr’s Calla since it was yellow with a hint of green undertone depending on the light.  LOVE it.  I decided to paint three of the walls Calla since I wasn’t sold on the idea of painting the entire space the same color.  Yellow is a tricky color and I didn’t want it to be overwhelming.  So just the main living space was painted yellow.

IMG_2765 I went with my gut and painted the other walls the same color as the trim – Glidden’s White on White.

IMG_2763 IMG_2768

IMG_2762

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - look how great the trim looks!  It really finishes off the space!

IMG_2774 As mentioned, the walls behind the sump didn’t have dry wall installed but I love the little space he made for it, complete with a bi-fold door.  (That ugly knob was replaced with one I had lying around)

IMG_2770 The new wall that separates the living space from the storage space was also painted.  I used a paint I already owned for the storage space. It’s a light blue with a hint of gray.

IMG_2773 The final step was to put everything back, come up with a new layout for the living space and decorate!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by!