Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Freezing!

Not only are the temps colder in MI this week (lots of fluffy snow on Monday!) but I’ve been having fun freezing various food items.  Two Christmases ago my parents bought me a FoodSaver.

IMG_2871 Oh how I love my FoodSaver!  Being that its just J and I for most dinners and I hate leftovers, I tend to waste a LOT of food…mainly meats.  Yes, I know I could go to the meat counter to get single or double servings of meats but honestly, who has the time for that every week?  Not me.  My local grocery store often has larger family packages of meats for half the cost of the smaller packages of meats so I decided to start taking advantage of these sales.  When I get home I divide up the meats to two-person servings and then use the FoodSaver to vacuum seal the rest.  My favorite part of the process is watching the air get sucked out of the bags and watch as the bags form to the shape of the food (chicken drumsticks are the best!).  I’ve used double layer freezer Ziploc bags in the past and they honestly do not work for me – my food always ended up with freezer burn and had to be thrown away.

Recently I made White Bean Chicken Chili and even after J and I ate seconds, there was way too much left over.  I decided to freeze the rest using my new trusty friend.  Before freezing liquids (soups, stews, chili) you should first freeze the liquid in a casserole dish or ice cube tray and then transfer the frozen block(s) to the FoodSaver bags.  Look at my chili now!

IMG_2866 IMG_2868The best part is that the frozen chili is much easier to store in the freezer in a FoodSaver bag vs. a container.

IMG_2872  For anyone who wants a quick and easy meal (not to mention YUMMY!) here’s the recipe for chili.

White Bean Chicken Chili

  • 3 cans of white beans (any – I used Great Northern Beans)
  • 1 16-18 oz. jar of salsa
  • 1 lb. of cooked and chopped chicken breast
  • 1 TBSP cumin
  • 2 c. shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (I used the four cheese Mexican blend as a sub)
  • 1 TSP dried cilantro
  1. Toss the beans (with or without liquid; I included it), salsa, chicken and cumin into a Crockpot and cook on high for 2-4 hours. The longer you cook it, the more the beans will break down. I cooked mine for four hours.
  2. Turn the heat to low. Toss in the cheese and cilantro.  Cook for another half hour.

That’s it.  TWO STEPS! 

If you try the chili let me know what you think.  I actually got this from a friend at work and am happy to say it will become one of my winter staples. 

*I was not asked or paid to comment on the FoodSaver.  I just love it and thought I would share my opinion.*

1 comment:

  1. They should pay you.

    I've considered buying one. It seems that so much more can be stored for so much longer!

    You may have me sold! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!