I’ve talked about my fences before. Back in 2007 I took apart the small fence that lines the north side of my driveway, sanded it, painted it and then reassembled it. It looked great but was a pain in the @$$ since I had a hard time mowing around it and my neighbor also had the painful task of mowing near it.
The other day I decided that I’d had enough. On a whim I took down the picket fence and the long horizontal support beams. That left two vertical poles that needed to be removed – the one closest to the street was simply stuck in the ground so I was able to remove it after a LOT of twisting and turning. Look at how much grass is in that spot! It was impossible to mow or even weed whack that spot with the fence up. (On a side note, notice how much greener the grass is now – three years later! )
I decided that rather than try to dig the cement out, I’d ask J for help. His solution was to cut the pole with his saw zaw and then bury the cement and pole that was left in the ground. I love how open the space is now and how much easier it is to maintain.