Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Defying Gravity

My 1947 home used to have a central gravity furnace from what I understand.  What I’m left with today are ugly, beat up heating vent covers in the bedrooms.

IMG_4748 I thought it would be as easy as removing the old covers and replacing them with sleek new ones that are a little more flush to the wall.  When you remove the cover, however you see this:

IMG_4753They jut out so far from the wall that I wouldn’t know what to do with them plus I’d be missing some of the hardwood floor if you just cut them back. So, I looked around to see if I could find new ones not only because mine have seen better days but also because Sami has started biting the lever and I’m worried about her ingesting old paint.

The only store anywhere near me to my knowledge that sells these is Frentz and Sons in Royal Oak. The drawback – they aren’t as large as I need and they are pricey!  So for now I’m living with the old covers but I had to do something about Sami biting the lever. I wondered if I could put a piece of rubber of some sort on it so that she couldn’t bite the metal anymore. 

A trip to Home Depot proved successful when I found plastic leg tips that were exactly what I was envisioning only I wanted rubber but plastic might work.  So I bought a package of four 5/8” leg tips for $1.09  and popped them on all four vents that she frequents (she loves to sit next to them in the winter).  So far they seem to be doing the job.  The tips fit perfectly over the lever and haven’t come off yet when she rubs against them or bites them so I’m happy with my $1.09 solution.

IMG_4762 IMG_4763 IMG_4764 Anyone out there know where I might find gravity baseboard vents?  I’ve done some online searches but so far all of the ones I’ve found are too small. I have also checked our local ReStore since I thought I might be lucky there but nothing has turned up.  I need three of these vents and would love to find them someplace local.

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever find replacement register covers? I am in same boat. However, i was able to remove only 1 of 4 registers, soak it in paint remover and then spray paint.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!