Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Float My Boat

Back in 2006 I decided to rip up the old linoleum floor in my kitchen (which turned into a larger project than I thought since I removed two layers of different linoleum) and laid down new peel and stick linoleum from Home Depot. 

100_1230 Very old picture of the floor – notice the old wall color, cabinets and countertop! circa 2006

As the years have passed, I’ve grown to hate the flooring and wanted to replace it with laminate flooring that you click together – no glue, no nails, something I could do myself. Earlier this year I decided to just hire my cousin to do the work for me since I just didn’t seem to have the time to do it myself and he wanted some projects to do. I started looking at flooring to see what I liked and what I thought would work with my house. 

Now, I knew there were layers of old 1970s and likely original 1940s tile under the linoleum I laid down and it seemed to be glued together with some sort of black tar/glue.  Rather than have my cousin rip out the existing floor and likely find/cause problems I decided I wanted a floating floor installed directly over the flooring I already had.  The only problem was that the floor in the kitchen would be much higher than the floor in the rest of the house.  It was already a touch higher but the laminate would be much higher than I wanted to go.  See the sample, kitchen, threshold and dining room floors below.

IMG_4834 While wandering Home Depot on the third visit in two days I stumbled upon Traffic Master’s new Allure Ultra flooring.  This resilient flooring came with a lifetime residential warranty, was 100% waterproof (perfect for kitchens) and shock-absorbent.  It simply clicked together like laminate but was only a touch thicker than linoleum.  The only problem was that Home Depot only carried two colors in stock (clear cherry and a dark chocolate color)…they also didn’t have samples of the colors to take home.  So if I wanted to get something else (like maple) I’d have to place a Special Order to buy a box and then be stuck with it if it didn’t work out since the store said they do not give refunds on Special Order items.  We sweet talked the flooring guy into giving us a piece of the flooring to bring home to see how it looked in the kitchen. 

It wasn’t a perfect match with my existing hardwood floor but it was close enough and I loved the material so I decided to go for it.  This plank flooring cost $2.97/sq. ft so it was on the higher end of what I wanted to spend but I think it was worth it since labor was incredibly low for this 7’x10’ kitchen.

(I also ordered new larger rugs (one of which I’m hoping will work in here) from Overstock.com and they should be here Monday afternoon.  So disregard the current rug!)

IMG_4856

IMG_4861

IMG_4858

The kitchen floor is still a little higher than the rest of the floor but it’s less noticeable than the laminate floor would have been and the new threshold helps with the transition. IMG_4857My cousin said it was a little tricky at times to figure out but once he got the hang of it, the floor installed as easily as any other click together flooring. I left for work and came home to a new floor! It looks and feels like real wood (there’s grooves so it isn’t slick to the touch) and I constantly find myself going into the kitchen to look at it.

The total cost of the floor, threshold and labor cost me $350.  Not bad…not bad.

4 comments:

  1. It looks great ! Will the new rug be a neutral color as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the floor, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much better! We have 1980s linoleum in out kitchen. I can't wait to get rid of it! But it is better than the 1970s linoleum underneath.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!