Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Just My Luck

Imagine sleeping soundly on a Saturday morning only to be woken up at 5:45 a.m. by the sound of your sump pump working its magic.  You think to yourself that it didn’t sound right but you’re probably mistaken in your sleepiness.  The sump pump goes off again five minutes later (quicker than usual) and it still doesn’t sound right.  You jump out of bed and run to the basement.  Upon flipping on the light you see the horror – one inch of water in some places but a damp carpet in a large area in the basement. Damn – just my luck. 

Sorry I don’t have any pictures for you but I was in a mad rush to stop the sump pump from backing up anymore water into my home and then using the wet/dry vac to suck up as much water as I could before I ran to Home Depot to rent carpet fans (which luckily they do have and I snagged a couple of them to use with my own fans).

Once the carpet was dried, I decided to have a carpet cleaning company come out to ensure there isn’t any mildew and do a thorough cleaning of the entire basement carpeting. In preparation I moved as much of my belongings off the floor so he could do his thing.

IMG_4765 IMG_4766 IMG_4767

The carpet cleaner said my carpet didn’t even look like I had water come in since I did such a great job of sucking up the water, drying it after, and then deodorizing with baking soda.  Yea me!  Luckily for me the water didn’t damage any of my new drywall down there, nor did it reach the living space but it did cost me $329 in emergency plumber fees, $48 in carpet fan rentals at Home Depot and $68 in carpet cleaning fees from a local carpet cleaning company.  Awesome.

4 comments:

  1. Bah! We're in the same boat. We need to have our basement perimeter dug up and new drain tile put it. We did a quick fix last year with the intention of doing it this spring. We've had water in our basement all week. We have two sump pumps and a back up, but we're in a flood zone, and since our drain tile is collapsed, the water is sitting against the walls and leaking in:( I guess we can have it done in May or June...I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that happened, but Great job! Last time we flooded I was not as good at the clean up! I'm taking notes from you! ;)

    http://stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. O yes. We just went through this also, but ours was roots in the drain. We had it snaked less than a year ago and BOOM! Came home to an inch and a half of water in the basement. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh...no fun :(
    But you did a great job with the cleanup :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!