Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Let it Rain

Update: Blogger deleted my post and comments – sorry about that!  REPOSTING.

For the past few years I’ve wanted to make my own rain barrel but I couldn’t find barrels local to my home. This year I’ve finally decided to just shell out the cash and buy a pre-made one from a local company. I originally wanted to go with Michigan Rain Barrels but after days of them not responding to my email or phone calls I’ve decided I don’t want to give them my business. I found Maxi Containers from a quick Google search and was excited to see that they will be in Rochester this weekend for the Green Living Festival.

I’m going to purchase the Terra Cotta 55 gallon rain barrel ($60).  It has a mesh screen, overflow valve, easy on/off twist top lid, brass spigot and downspout adapter. I may paint it to blend in with the house or I may leave it since the terra cotta color isn’t as offensive as the bright blue barrels.

IMG_6932_rain_barrel_web

They also sell compost tumblers ($99) made out of 58 gallon food-grade drums. The black plastic helps compost break down faster, it has a durable wood frame, easy on/off twist top lid and a rake system inside that helps separate compost.

composter_24_web

I have to admit that I’m contemplating the composter as well. I almost bought this one from Lowes last year but it didn’t have favorable reviews. I made a composter a year or two ago from a plastic bin but it didn’t work out very well. I’d love to turn my lawn trimmings and food scraps into compost for my flowerbeds so we’ll see if I break out more cash or not this weekend.

The Green Living Festival is a great way to learn about green living and wellness, including eco-friendly products, services and programs. It is being held in downtown Rochester Friday – Sunday – maybe I’ll see you there!

3 comments:

  1. My idea of a rain barrel is to leave the watering can on the side of the house during a good rain!lol I would love to try something like this.I just keep telling myself its not cost effective to purchase it.But maybe...60.00 not that bad a price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so awesome with your creative side! I need a home and start harnessing that power also!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!