Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Custom Canvas Art

I was recently contacted by Easy Canvas Prints to create a custom 8x10 or 10x8 canvas to review.  After debating whether to use a family photo or one of my vacations I finally decided to use a picture I had of my favorite place on earth – Black River Harbor. For the best canvas make sure to load a file that has a resolution between 180 DPI and 240 DPI. I toyed with black and white, sepia, or full color and none of them seemed right to me. I *love* the original picture in color but I considered the room I wanted to hang this in and the bright colors didn’t seem right to me. So instead I opened the pic in Picasa to see what I could do with it – the result was what I’m calling the “tint” image below.

canvasprint_1_athomewithh canvasprint_2_athomewithh

I tried each of the image options that Picasa has on the Effects tab. The one I decided to go with was Focal B&W since it desaturates around a center point. I figured this would allow me to mix the black and white with some color. Here is where I will tell you that this is the first time I used Picasa for any image editing  so I am still learning the tool by playing with it– I use Paint Shop Pro at home (much cheaper than Photoshop and it does a lot of the same things – at least, it does what I need it to do).

picasa_options The tool defaulted the focal point in the center of the image.

picasa_img1

I wanted the focus to be on the rocks since I loved their mix of colors, so I clicked further down on the rocks and made the focal point size a little larger (slide the scale on the left of the screen).  Note: The image below isn’t exactly the same result as the pic that I used but it is close.

picasa_img2Once I had the image I wanted it was a matter of going to Easy Canvas Prints to place my order. Their site is incredibly easy to navigate and ordering my print took mere moments. You simply select your size, choose the thickness, upload your image, select the border (solid color, image wrap or mirror image) and then select any additional photo editing (B&W, sepia, editing, etc.). That’s it! I selected the following options:

  • Size: 10x8 (remember, I was offered a 8x10 or 10x8 canvas to review)
  • Thickness: .75” Standard Wrap
  • Border: Image Wrap

imageborderI didn’t select any color finishing or image retouching since my image didn’t need anything done to it. I will say here that they charge $11.25 to turn the picture into a B&W or Sepia image. Save yourself the cash and do it using any photo editing tool! My canvas arrived yesterday and I couldn’t be happier. It was protectively packaged and covered with plastic (good thing since I accidentally got some water on the plastic while making dinner).

Isn’t she gorgeous?!? Until I finish planning where to hang her I’ve decided to prop her up on my desk so I can stare at her and dream of home all day.

canvasart2_athomewithh I love the wrapped image around all of the sides:

wrapimage_athomewithh It also came with a hanger, pre-installed on the back so that saves me one step!

back_canvasart_athomewithhEasy Canvas Prints are currently offering 25% off all canvases and free shipping! Check it out for a great piece of custom artwork for your home.  You can also get to them by clicking on the widget on the side bar.  This would make a great gift for someone – a picture of their baby, a family portrait, or even your first home (I almost did this).

Note: While I was given a canvas for free to review their store/product, the opinion is 100% mine.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love it! and I am in need of some major art these days, all my walls are empty right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of getting some of the kids pics put on canvas...thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!