Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Goodbye Boy and Girl

While I was at my Mom’s house I found these two ceramic pictures in her box of things to take to Goodwill.

ceramicframe_before_athomewithh I didn’t care much for the boy and girl images that were embedded in the ceramic but I did love the frame of the ceramic art. The detail was amazing and I knew I could turn them into something else. I thought about those frames for a few days and then decided that I would just cover the pictures with craft paper and then somehow hang new pictures on top. So, I gathered some supplies:

ceramicframe_supplies_athomewithh

  1. Craft paper – two styles
  2. Curtain clips
  3. Double-sided tape
  4. Pictures
  5. Household GOOP
  6. Pliers
  7. Paper cutter

I first measured the inside of the pictures and then cut the scrap paper to size using the paper cutter. Using double-sided tape, I adhered the paper onto the frame.  I used two slightly different metallic papers – one seems to have leaves and the other is more of a geometric pattern.

ceramicframe_1_athomewithh ceramicframe_2_athomewithh

It took me a while to decide how I would hang things onto the frames. Then I happened to look up at the curtains in the kitchen while making dinner. My kitchen curtains are hung using the same curtain clips and I had exactly two extra clips in the basement. I cut off the metal ring that slips over the curtain rod using the pliers.  I then applied a small bead of GOOP to the back of the clip and then pressed it down onto the paper-covered frame near the top edge. I let it dry overnight and now I have interchangeable art!

ceramicframe_after_athomewithh I was worried that the clips would pull the paper off of the frame but I used permanent double-sided tape and so far things have stayed put. A fun fact is that I didn’t know my Grandmother made these ceramic frames/art until I happened to flip them over and I saw my older brother’s name and her initials. She used to make a lot of ceramic things so I wasn’t too surprised that she made these but I’m thrilled that I was able to repurpose them into something that I would use in my own home.

Check back Monday to see one of the pictures in action.

1 comment:

  1. These turned out amazing! What a great idea!!

    http://www.stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!