Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Very Bookish Christmas – Part 2

Earlier this week I showed you some ornaments I made using book pages. Well, today I have another ornament I made this weekend using more book pages. I figured since I was ripping apart a book I might as well make a few things from it. :)

The HomeGoods ornament pack had another ornament that I used as inspiration:

photo2I decided that I would take the loops and the glitter snowflake from the inspiration picture since I had book pages I could use in addition to a few gold glitter snowflakes that I bought from Target two years ago. (I think they were four in a package for $1)

Step 1: Cut your book page into strips using a paper cutter or scissors work just as well. I made mine 5.5” long and just shy of 1” wide.  For my ornaments, I used ten strips per ornament but as you can see the inspiration used many more strips.

snowflake_cutpaper_athomewithh Step 2. Loosely fold the strip in half and staple the end together.  Repeat for every strip.

snowflake_staple_athomewithh

snowflake_pieces_athomewithhStep 3. Fold the stapled edge up so that there’s a small ‘lip’ on each strip. I found that this step isn’t necessary if you are going to use a bazillion strips but since I was only using ten for the ornament I needed something that would add a little space between each piece so the lip worked great for that.

snowflake_fold_athomewithh Step 4. Apply a small piece of double-sided tape to the lip of one loop and press it to the non-lipped side of another loop.

snowflake_tape_athomewithh

Step 5. Repeat until you have attached all of the loops, making sure they meet in the center to form a flower shape.

snowflake_attached_athomewithhStep 6. Apply a small bead of hot glue to the back of a glitter snowflake and press the paper flower onto the glue bead.  Wait for it to dry and then hang on your tree!

snowflake_final_athomewithhI love how this adds a 3D effect to the snowflake. I purposely made my loops just a little bigger than the snowflakes since I just wanted to add a little depth to the snowflakes rather than steal the show from them.

I spent all day on Sunday in my pj’s making ornaments and other items for Christmas decor so I’ll be back later this week with more paper projects. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. So cute!
    What a fun way to spend a day, I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute and such an easy project!! Ill make sure to add to my (every growing) list of Christmas crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pinned this and hope to make. I have the snowflakes and have been looking for a way to use them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!