Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Cheering Up the Place – Living Room Edition

I previously showed you the dining room decorations for this holiday season so I’m back with the living room. Those really are the only rooms I decorate other than a couple of bells in the kitchen and bathroom.  Of course we have to start with the tree.  If you followed me last year, this is a $12 tree I bought on super clearance at Wally World a couple of years ago that I’ve now put up twice. I do love a fresh, real tree but this is just easier for me to do by myself.

holiday_tree_athomewithh My star is made of capiz shells and I completely forgot I had it! Its been in another holiday box for a few years so this is the first time I’ve used it since buying it after the holiday season years ago. See, that’s what happens when you eagerly buy too much holiday decor which is why I only bought a few things this year despite the fact that I love holiday decor!

The tree skirt is once again an old window sheer I had lying around in the basement. Maybe one day I’ll make a real skirt but I really like how the sheer looks so we’ll see. The only new thing I bought this year for the tree was the “R” ornament in honor of my father. I wanted him to be with me in some visible way so I snagged this for $3 from Target. All of the ornaments are handmade by grandma or myself again this year (see the new book ornaments, book snowflakes and yarn-wrapped balls I did?) with the exception of the wooden birds I bought from Michaels last year for .30 cents each and a few white glass balls.

holiday_treeskirt_athomewithh

Here’s the tree at night:

holiday_treeatnight_athomewithhThe pillows that normally stay on the couch got swapped out for green ones I had in the basement since they seemed more holiday appropriate without yelling ‘Christmas pillow.’ I also added a faux fur throw that I had to the back of the couch to add some softness and to break up all the beige.

holiday_pillows_athomewithh Finally, the picture ledge where my homemade holiday banner is hanging got a little love. I simply added some poinsettia clips from my stash of holiday decor, a white feather tree ornament that I got from Cost Plus World Market for $2 and three wooden stars that I got at the Salvation Army this year for $3 (can’t beat $1 per star). I also moved the Peace plant that some friends bought me in here since I thought it was fitting for the holiday.

holiday_tvwall_athomewithh holiday_woodenstar_athomewithh

Finally, I bought a bouquet of flowers from Trader Joe for $4 that I added to a milk glass bowl on the coffee table. I also brought up my silver holiday tray to put things on instead of the usual wooden one that stays in this room. The cool candle holder that looks like a sweater is from Anthropologie a few years ago and was a gift at the time. I saw similar ones this year at Marshall’s if you’re looking for one. 

holiday_tray_athomewithhSince I love to share how much I spent on things, the total cost of living room holiday decor was $12 (“R’ ornament, feather tree ornament, flowers and wooden stars).  The last area to get decorated was the back porch so I’ll post those pics soon.

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by!