Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bookshelf Layering

I have two large bookshelves in my home office that I predominately use to store books. Imagine that. I love moving things around on it since it just hasn’t felt quite right to me. I realized what it was the other day – I needed another layer of interest. Sure, your eye moves up and around the bookshelves due to the placement of items but it needed something else that I couldn’t put my finger on until this past weekend.

bookshelf_layering_before_athomewithhI recently received a certificate from the Oval Office that honored my father’s service to his country. Every time I see this certificate my heart swells a little with pride for my father, pride for our country and pride for being part of a military family. If you remember, my father served in the United States Marine Corps (see the memory shadowbox I made for him here).  When he passed away this past September, our funeral director filled out the form so that each of my family members would receive this certificate that was signed by none other than President Obama.

I decided to frame the picture using one of my favorite $4 frames from Michael’s. I replaced the white mat with a nice navy blue and white one that I found on clearance at Michael’s for $3. I then attached the frame to the bookshelf using 3M Command Strips (see how else I’ve used them here, here and here). I think the frame adds a new layer of interest to the shelves and it was exactly what this space needed.

bookshelf_layering_after_athomewithh It says:

“The United States of America honors the memory of <dad>. This certificate is awarded by a grateful nation in recognition of devoted and selfless consecration to the service of our country in the Armed Forces of the United States.”

bookshelf_layering_closeup_athomewithh I also added a few more Dad-related things to the bookshelf. The first is the beer stein I gave him from my trip to Switzerland. You can see it by the framed certificate in the picture above. I also added his copper bookend…

bookshelf_newaddition1_athomewithh …and a brass apple that I found at my favorite antique store in the U.P. I bought this in December for $3 and love it since apples remind me of Dad.  The bonus is that it is a bowl with lid so I placed some of Dad’s small trinkets inside.  In the past I’ve painted brass items but I love the brass on the old apple so it will remain untouched.

bookshelf_newaddition2_athomewithh

Anyone else hang pictures on their bookshelves?

2 comments:

  1. Im actually planning on adding bookshelves in my bedroom, and I'm working on some art to hang on them :) Great minds ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds, indeed! Can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!