Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday Finds: Valentine’s Edition

When I turned in my homemade valentine’s cards at a local store the other day I picked up a couple of items that caught my eye.

straws_athomewithh How cute is that stone heart-shaped rock? It is called ‘A Heart for Haiti’ and proceeds from the handmade Haitian heart funds the Haitian relief activities of HAND/EYE Fund’s Artisan Grants Program. They help Haiti’s artisans recover from the life-challenging loss of shelter, equipment, workshops and income. For more information, visit www.handeye.org.

The second item was a bag of red and white striped biodegradable straws. I’ve seen people use these straws in crafts this past year but my younger brother is getting married this summer and I thought they might be fun to use during my soon-to-be sister-in-law’s bachelorette party or shower.  This drink caught my eye and I love the straws in a simple mason jar:

CRANBERRY-VODKA-COCKTAIL-RECIPE-4  Apple, Ginger and Cranberry Vodka Cocktail (from here)

  • 1 c. cloudy apple juice
  • 1 c. cranberry juice
  • 50 ml vodka
  • 1 c. ginger ale
  • ice

Place apple juice, cranberry juice and vodka into the jug of a blender and whizz until light pink and frothy. Pour into large serving jug and top with 1 c. ginger ale and a handful of ice.

I could make fun tags to go on each straw similar to these (but obviously tailored to my event and I’d put the labels lower so you can use the straw)…

party-custom-drink-sticks-1 (source)

… or these:

strawlabels (source)

If I had children these would be great to use during a kid’s birthday party for drinks like this:

milkstraws(source)

Really – the possibilities are endless and they come in many colors. You can do a search online to find places to buy the fun straws or check out Etsy (the seller above has a ton of different colors).  Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!