Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

DIY Olympic Rings

Naturally every Olympics Opening Ceremony party needs some Olympic rings.

olympic_header_athomewithh

I was trying to think of an inexpensive way to make some rings to hang on the wall when I remembered that the Dollar Store sells foam rings. I bought three at $1 each since once cut in half I knew they would be the perfect size for my last craft project. Once I had the form for the rings figured out I had to decide what to wrap around each piece.  Enter my Goodwill bag.

olympicsrings_supplies_athomewithh

That’s right – I raided my Goodwill bag once I remembered that I had a couple of shirts in the correct colors (blue tank, black cami and green tee) that I had planned to donate. I also found yellow and red tea towels in the bag – score! This project could not be any easier.

Step 1. Cut your foam rings in half using any kitchen knife. I opted to use a steak knife since I assumed the serrated edge would work best.

olympicsrings_cut_athomewithh

 olympicsrings_cut2_athomewithh

Step 2. Cut your fabric (or in my case shirts!) into strips. I used my pinking shears since I wanted the fun edge.

olympicsrings_fabric_athomewithh

Step 3. Wrap the fabric strips around the foam ring, making sure to overlap the edges. Pull the fabric tight so it wraps the foam neatly. 

olympicsrings_wrap_athomewithh

Step 4. Attach the last end with hot glue to secure the fabric. You’ll now have a ring that looks something like this:

olympicsrings_wrappedring_athomewithh

That’s it! Repeat for each color until you have your five Olympic rings.

olympicsrings_rings_athomewithh

 

olympicsrings_rings2_athomewithh

If you remember, I had six rings so I decided to wrap the extra ring with all five colors. I also added a piece of twine with cardboard numbers attached (‘2012’) to represent the year of the Olympics. I thought it turned out pretty cool.

olympicsrings_2012_athomewithh

Now I just have to figure out where to hang my rings. I’m thinking since the fabric banner will be in the living room that maybe I’ll put these in the dining room. We’ll see where I end up!

[See my other Olympics Party decorations here: fabric tassel banner, sign and confetti]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!