Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Dining Room Colors and Patterns

I made a couple of small updates to the dining room….oh, over a month ago. I’m so behind in posting things around the house between being super busy with work, going away for Labor Day and being sick for a week. I thought I’d give a quick update on the dining room changes since the pictures are already on my computer --- I’m too lazy to upload any new ones right now. 

I’ve  updated the look of an old Pier One cabinet a few times over the years by swapping out the paper I attached on the back of the shelves. Here’s what it looked like until a month or so ago:

IMG_3901

I got sick of the silver and decided to replace it with some sticky shelf liner I recently found at TJMaxx. The Macbeth paper was $6 for 30 sq. ft. so I had more than enough to cover not only the back of the shelves but also cover the door fronts, which I liked in 2009 but have hated since 2010. 

diningcabinet_top_athomewithh

diningcabinet_bottom_athomewithh

diningcabinet_pattern_athomewithh

In all actuality I really don’t like this cabinet anymore but it is the perfect size for the corner and it holds a lot of stuff so for now it stays. The white/gold liner dresses it up a bit and lightens it a lot since the all-black shelf can be overwhelming in a small room, despite its small size.

Moving on – the other project I recently completed was to repaint the back wall of the built-in shelves in the dining room. Originally the back was white, then I painted it a gray/blue in 2010. I liked the subtle color and that the white dishes didn’t blend in anymore but I recently decided to try something crazy (crazy for me anyway).

IMG_3870

Since I had nearly an entire tester pot of the deep blue I used on the inside of my new television stand left over (Deep Sea Diving), I decided to paint the wall a deep, moody blue and I *love* it (if you follow me on Instagram you may have seen this a while ago!).  Let me pause here to say I’ve been looking for the perfect fabric to starch on the wall here but after a year of looking, I haven’t found it yet and I was ready for a change.

diningnook_blue_athomewithh

The color changes depending on the time of the day to a deep blue or a brighter, closer to royal blue.

diningnook_closeup_athomewithh

diningnook_fullshot_athomewithh

The white dishes certainly pop now and a friend who has been over many times just noticed the white dishes for the first time thanks to that moody blue background. I added the items on the bottom row to my collection – they are a hobnob pitcher and matching glasses from my grandmother’s house. The glasses I used to have hanging (you can see where they were from the silver hangers I didn’t have removed yet at the time of the pictures) have been banished to the shelves in the kitchen.

That’s it for the small dining room updates. I’m still on the hunt for a new light and I dream of a new table and chairs since I’m over the black I’ve had since I bought the house seven years ago. I have some more updates to post – it is just a matter of finding the time to do so.

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by!