Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Joy to the World

I thought I’d pop in with a simple holiday DIY I completed back in October. Yes, October…for Christmas. I was bored – there’s really nothing more to say. This project took less than ten minutes and was free since I had all of the supplies on hand.  I made another sign back in 2011 with thumbtacks so I figured I’d make a holiday sign or two this year using them as well since you can pick up a big box of thumbtacks at the dollar store, making this project inexpensive.

joysign_onledge1_athomewithh

Step 1. Print out the word (or image) you want to create and position it on your painted canvas.

joysign_printedletters_athomewithh

Step 2. Place thumbtacks over the letters.

joysign_pins1_athomewithh

joysign_pins2_athomewithh

Step 3. Realize that you can’t pull the paper off without the tacks popping back up so remove the tacks, remove the paper and then push the tacks back into their pre-made holes. Yes, annoying but it worked well enough for me.

joysign_finished_athomewithh

This sat in my basement until last weekend when I decorated the house for the holidays, along with a holly canvas that I did by free-hand. Here’s the living room all decked out.

holidays_livingroom1_athomewithh

joysign_onledge2_athomewithh

hollysign_onledge2_athomewithh

I love the glass lamp bases since they are open on the bottom, allowing me to stuff them with glass bulbs.

bulblights_reindeer_athomewithh

I  hung a couple of pieces of twine on the wall again this year to display the holiday cards I receive from friends and family but this year they are vertical strands rather than two long horizontal ones.

tree_seat_athomewithh

My tree is filled with homemade ornaments (here are the yarn wrapped bulbs I made last year), topped with a homemade felt poinsettia from Grandma and the tree skirt is another handmade item from Grandma.

details_holiday2012_athomewithh

Here are some links to DIY projects from last year:

Yarn wrapped bulbs

Paper ornaments

More paper ornaments

Merry & Bright paper banner

Anthropologie knock-off Snow Globes

19 comments:

  1. This is so cute and there are so many options you could do with this! These would be great gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool and you made not 1 but 2! Awesome great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I had a lot of fun with these and they are so easy to make!

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so simple and beautiful! This has inspired a year round project! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! There are so many possibilities with this! Love both of them you created!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh this is so cute! I love how many different things you could do with this idea. I also love the rest of your decorations - I especially love that white reindeer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! The white reindeer is from HomeGoods ($10 I think).

      ~Heather

      Delete
  7. I love this! It is nice to see something new :) I also like your shelf over your TV area. I found you through Hi Sugarplum's link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daliene! The shelf is a DIY project that you can find in my archives.

      ~Heather

      Delete
  8. I love this idea! It's very expensive looking! :) I found your blog on Hi Sugarplum's linky party! I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I think you used a really great font for this as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute idea! Thanks for sharing! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE THIS! It's modern and festive!
    Now I have to make one! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!